Ladendorf Motors
Ladendorf Motors was a car dealership at 1628 Rand Road and 77 Rand Road. It was run by William Ladendorf.
-
1966 advertisement
-
1980 drivers education class at Maine North
-
1981 advertisement
-
1983 advertisement
-
1985 calendar
A history of Ladendorf Motors
Our founder, William J. Ladendorf, was born in Des Plaines, Illinois in the early 1890's. His father was employed by the Northwestern Railroad. Bill was one of six children. Because of his fondness for repairing new-fangled autos, Bill made this his vocation.
During World War I, he was assigned to an Army truck transportation company in France. After the war, Bill returned home to Des Plaines and worked as a mechanic and auto/truck salesman. He married Clara who truly could be called the co-founder and partner of our starting company. In the early 1920's, they started an auto/truck repair business in a garage located on an alley east of Center Street near Ellinwood Street in Des Plaines. Bill's large and growing clientele urged him to take on a line of automobiles so they could buy and be serviced locally by him. In May, 1926, Bill signed his first selling agreement with Oldsmobile. In only two years, the fast growing company moved to new and larger quarters at 1628 Rand Road, Des Plaines. Then, with a big mortgage, came the "Great Depression" which almost wiped Bill and Clara out of business. To add another problem, the Rand Road/Des Plaines River Bridge collapsed, closing the highway past the dealership for two years. Even with the bridge out and the highway closed, many loyal customers found their way in for sales and service via the back roads.
Bill's son, Don, came with the company in October 1945 on his separation from the United States Army Air Corps after World War II. Don became president of Ladendorf Motors, Inc., in January 1965.
David Ladendorf, Don's son, joined the company in December, 1969, after his graduation from lowa State University with a business degree, making the third generation in the company.
Facilities at 1628 Rand Road were expanded in 1947, 1953 and 1960. In 1965, Bill passed away.
Don signed a franchise agreement with Oldsmobile to become the dealer and began looking for a suitable plot for expansion.
Don and Sal DiMucci made an agreement for approximately 9 acres of land at 77 Rand Road. Sal constructed the buildings, designed by Architect Louis Heubner. At that time, this was one of the largest Oldsmobile dealership facilities in the world. Judy Ford, Miss America 1969, helped celebrate the grand opening on Jan. 13, 1969, together with about 5,000 people.
David Ladendorf took over as general manager in Jan. 1979.
